Monday, October 26, 2009

Speaking of Food

Jules of Stonesoup - one of my favourite foodie blogs (I mentioned I love food, didn't I?) - is holding the most amazing competition. Here it is in her words:

You might think it’s a sad state of affairs when a restaurant reservation out lasts a relationship. But when said reservation is for the best restaurant in the world and was secured over 12 months in advance – it doesn’t seem quite so tragic.

Last month, sadly, the Irishman and I parted ways. And so I found myself with a ticket to Spain, a reservation at the best restaurant in the world – and no one to share it with.

At the suggestion of my writing mentor I decided to hold a competition to find myself a blind date for the 15th December 2009. And here we are.


I love this idea with all my heart. First, the contestant has to pay their own way to Spain and they must pay for their own dinner. So we have covered off here a couple of essentials in a dating partner: a love of travel, a love of great dining experiences and ... dare I say it ... money (and inclination) to afford and appreciate such a dining experience.

Before you all think I'm a shallow, shallow person (ok... I have been described as "deep as a fingerbowl" before, but I took it as a loving joke. Eep!) let me explain. I have recently dated a person who doesn't appreciate a fine dining experience at all. And it shocked me to the core! I understand the greatness of cheap Asian food on the couch - don't get me wrong - but that a woo-worthy date does not make. It is also rather a turn-off when your date doesn't like to extract dollar bills from his wallet. I'm just saying!

Listen up boys! In the early stages of wooing a woman, just as it is perfectly ok to take her to dodgy Asian restaurants with authentic food (a huuuge favourite of mine) it is also a very special and hugely appreciated treat to take her to a lovely restaurant with more-lovely food. And it's one of those things you should do early on (and if you keep her, you should try to do it on a fairly regular basis). She will return the favour, I promise. And if she doesn't, you decide whether you like that or not. Please also note, that great restaurants don't always = great cost. It's all about discovering a special place, and wanting to share it with people who are special to you. Got it?


I am of the Jane Austen school of romance, and the Matt Preston school of dining. Combine that, and we have dating gold.


PS: Male readers, if you can, you should enter! Jules seems like a total sweetheart... And she can cook!!!!!

No comments: