Monday, October 26, 2009

Food Is For Fat People ... And Poor People

Yeah, good call Robert Verdi, stylist, who clearly has never seen poverty or the nightly news. He goes on:

* "I love fat people because they're jolly"
* "I think people of all sizes should be wearing clothes. I don't know if they necessarily need to be photographed in clothes..."
* "It's why I stopped eating... Rich people don't eat. They get dressed up and go shopping." [I will never be rich in that case - I love eating]

Yeh. I would love to look that... Not.

All this follows, of course, from the Ralph Lauren model being fired for being too fat and the rapid-fire photo-shopping debacle. Apparently the ideal Ralph Lauren woman is a bobble-headed alien.


And all of that follows on from Karl Lagerfeld comments that no one wants to see curvy women (to clarify, I believe he meant on the catwalk - and I agree on that point). "You've got fat mothers with their bags of chips sitting in front of the television and saying that thin models are ugly," he added.

The world of fashion is about "dreams and illusions", he said, dismissing as "absurd" the debate prompted by Brigitte magazine which said it would no longer feature professional models on its pages. Brigitte, one of Germany's top women's magazines, said last week it would only publish photographs of "real women" after readers complained they could not identify with the models depicted.

No comments: