Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Guest Editor: Ally Kay

Not that I have asked her permission to totally swipe one of her blog articles, but here we have Ally Kay discussing the perils of wardrobe monotony and it is so true! I often catch myself picking up items ridiculously similar to things I already own and having to remind myself "derrr... Rachel! You already own that!" I love Ally's tips for avoiding wardrobe monotony. And I am of course chuffed that I got another Chelsea reference. More chuffed that I have just come from a wonderful brunch with the delightful Ally where she was wearing one of the dresses I stuffed her into, and we ended up getting for her! Huzzah! It looks so great on her too!

So here it is... Ms Ally Kay - on Snapdragons for the first time ever! Hope you like this one as much as I did. :o)

Ever notice when you’re shopping that you are drawn to similar clothes? “This top is sooo me,” you’ll think… and quite possibly you already have one that’s practically the same at home.

This is even more noticeable when shopping with friends. Everything they look at is familiar to them. It’s frustrating right? You want to say – “Don’t you already have that exact beige jacket - only slightly longer sleeves?”

But that’s their style, so you let them buy it.

Well, do yourselves a favour. Next time you go shopping bring a non-toxic friend who has fabulous style! You will need a friend who is bold enough to be honest about what looks good on you, but not bitchy enough to be the jealous type.

Then let them pick out a bunch of stuff – that THEY think would look great on you.

Items are not going to be anything you would have picked for yourself. You are going to look at them and think "mmmm... not really me."

But try them on anyway. And anything that says ‘well, hang on a sec, I kind I don’t mind this’ BUY IMMEDIATELY!

I did this twice with Chelsea while she was in NY, and now every time I wear these pieces I feel like a new woman. I’ve grown to absolutely love them.

Don’t worry, I still love my grey + denim uniform, but this has helped me break my pattern and look at other clothes that I may not have previously.

After all, a change in style is as good as a holiday if you ask me. Chelsea, are you for hire?

**Note: Chelsea would like to say yes, she is for hire. **

Just on my way over now....

No comments: