Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Viva Bris Vegas: Design Spot #1

Fee of PeachyPan has clearly spent quite a bit of time in Japan (but now resides in Brisbane, hence star spot on Viva Bris Vegas - a new addition to Snapdragons), and instead of becoming obsessed with Hello Kitty the way yours truly has, she is instead obsessed with - and making a profit from - kanzashi (hair ornaments). Her design philosophy combines two notions: child-like innocence and fairytale beauty. It all sounds a little weird, I agree, but Japan does that to peops. You just gotta bear with them.

Fact is, PeachyPan's accessories are really cute and child-like, and really really well-priced (I can't stress this enough). In a world where Mimco becomes increasingly mainstream and instantly recognisable, we need creative types to throw some new things into the mix. Observe:

Presenting Black Gem - made from hand-dyed silk and swarovski crystal (in the centre) - yours for just A$8.99.






Ruffled anklet in white or black - $6.99 (actually - she doesn't make these, but whatevs).


Then she has all these other random items (second one is a bento box - small lunch box, the others are earrings):



Upon reflection, I doubt I'd actually wear any of these. If I had a niece or something, or one of my friends had a little girl - hell yes, she would be getting this stuff every time I saw her (bribery is the only way to win the hearts of children). Regardless, I think it's pretty cute and PeachyPan is certainly individual.

The other thing I like about her website is PeachyMan. At first I thought she had a range of ladybug rings for boys, in which case I thought she was totally nuts, however she has a "pin-up" boy for each month. Mr July is Luke, and the most outlandish thing he has ever done to get a girl is get a haircut, and his ranking, in order of importance, for the perfect woman is as follows: (1) Hot; (2) Friendly; and (3) Intelligent. Who said romance was dead?

No comments: