Friday, July 31, 2009

Current Crush: Diesel


Yes, I realise he's old and has children aged 17 and 15. There's just something about a man who can strum a guitar. It's kinda 'play me I'm yours' and reminds me of the Sex and the City episode when Carrie dated the jazz musician who played the double bass and who had ADD.

Last night, Diesel performed at the fabulous Judith Wright Centre in Fortitude Valley, with Asa Broomhall as his support act (another wicked guitarist). I'm not really someone who goes out of her way to attend live music events - I have other things I'm interested in and just never think about it - however when I do attend them, I keep asking in my internal monologue why the heck I don't go to live music more often. Last weekend I saw the Noonan family perform at Jimbour House - they were pretty good, but it was a totally different vibe. Diesel was way more vibey, way sexier, more on it, and just so ridiculously talented it was at times jaw dropping.

Diesel smoked up the stage (and the table top he jumped on at one point), with his spectacular voice which has incredible range, and evocative lyrics. Diesel's real fame time on the Oz music scene came in the early 90s with hits such as Tip of My Tongue, The Lobbyist and Cry In Shame, so the crowd was a little older (the non-proliferation of monochromatic 18-25 yr olds in oversized sunglasses, low-cut singlets paired with a bikini top and splashes of fluro was truly not missed).

Diesel is promoting his latest album, Project Blues: Saturday Suffering Fools, which is strongly rooted in Diesel's blues-y roots (reminiscent of his work with Melbourne Blues muso Chris Wilson on Short Cool Ones in 1996). Project Blues features a collection of blues standards and a couple of orginals. Backing the power-voice is an equally explosive band, featuring Diesel's father (Hank Lizotte) and two brothers (Mike and Brian), as well as long time bandmates (from his Diesel and the Injectors days) Richie Vez, Lee Moloney and Bernie Bremond.

Big tick goes to his remake of Aerosmith's (currently rediscovering these guys - Walk This Way in collaboration with Run DMC is on high rotation on my ipod right now) Sweet Emotion. As one reviewer has said of Diesel's Project Blues:

"This isn’t your average every day white guy blues record. It’s a powerful tribute to the guys that have come before with Diesel’s unique oz-rock touch thrown in. It is drenched in reverb and baritone sax and is meant to be heard loud... or even better, be seen live."

I couldn't agree more. I would also like to give a highly commended to his fashion: grey, skinny-ish leg jeans (not inappropriately skinny); grey business shirt, sleeves rolled up above elbows; black sweat band on right forearm; black/dark gray vest; black bow with long tie. Super clean shaven head. Hot.


He reminds me a little of a super ambitious soccer player. I don't know why.

No comments: