Friday, March 27, 2009

Topshop Freak Out


To be honest, the one in London is so mobbed by 14-year-olds I cannot even tell you. It’s like going to a rock concert. … I’m 38 years old, so I’ve got to be feeling really, really up for it if I’m going to shop there as opposed to shopping at, like, Alexander McQueen.”

- Plum Sykes, author, features writer for Vogue USA, bemoaner of Topshop shopping

Frankly, if I had a choice I would probably wear Topshop any day over Alexander McQueen (Marc Jacobs - a different story) but after a recent heart attack inducing experience in Century 21 in New York (my head was between my legs, and most of my clothes stripped off due to sheer too-many-people-in-here-too-much-heating mania) I can catch her drift. Overcrowded, stinking change rooms (ever been into a change room right after the girl who had a kebab with tzatziki on it for lunch?), coupled with the dreaded knowledge that you probably won't be the only girl wearing Kate Moss' latest 20s style sequin dress to the party is another reason New Yorkers are neurotically fearing - yet silently, smugly, excitedly embracing and obsessing over - the onslaught of British "high street shopping".

Sure, we've got some Sportsgirl here (who wears the clothes though? I occasionally dip into their accessories - that's about it), a bit of Portmans there, but you're more likely to say - "those sass & bide jeans are soooo fetch"; "stop saying fetch, stop trying to make fetch something when it isn't" (ooopss... Mean Girls diversion) than "god who didn't buy that jacket at Topshop last week?" There are a million reasons for me to be jealous of New Yorkers on any given day. April 2nd will pass like any other day, but a little heart in Brisbane will be breaking that she's (a) not on the corner of Broome and Broadway; and (b) that it will be donkey's years before Topshop appears in Australia, girt by sea and distance as we are.

Conveniently, Kate Moss' Spring collection for Topshop is also launched on the 2nd.
Pic: The Sartorialist - that's an old Kate Moss for Topshop cape she's got on right there

No comments: