Friday, March 6, 2009

Bad Hair Day


Muchos pleased to see this morning that Beyonce's latest hair-do is also a fashion-do. Beyonce has been copping it lately with her questionable outfits, however at least she's getting the coiffe right at least.

I'm also pleased because, having not been to the hairdresser for oooh.... I don't know, EIGHT weeks not only are my roots now practically my permanent hair colour, the rest of the hair is a total schamozzle. So, unwittingly, I'd been adopting the hair style which is currently the height of fashion. For practical reasons only: high ponytails in hot weather are a given, and the need to not resemble a prima ballerina with your hair scraped way back means searching for a stylish alternative. The Beyonce.

Remember when this style was in fashion circa 2002? Back then, we called it 'The Elvis' because it resembled Elvis' combed back bouffant (also coinciding with the release of a greatest hits album as well as the remix of A Little Less Conversation).

I'm amazed at the rapid cycle in hair fashions, but then, I really shouldn't be surprised. I had a fringe when it was cool circa 2003/04 and then I returned to it when it regained popularity courtesy of Kate Moss from late 2007 to 2008.

Fringes can be high maintenance, and sometimes being a member of the pack isn't exactly what you had in mind when you first sat yourself in the hairdresser's chair. Until I see everyone parading the Beyonce, I think I'm going to stick with it - it's easy (all you need is hairspray - hello! dance school has left me with a legacy of half-full cans of hair spray, although I think I'll leave the glitter hairspray well alone) and sleek, minimalist and stylish, which I believe is the look a recessionista must go for (on work days - I'm still fantasising about the big-big-hair from New York fashion week and the Barbie models' jumbo hair for play-dates on the weekend).

Marc Jacobs girls @ New York Fashion Week

No comments: