Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Am Worried

Very, very concerned. In fact, I think I may have developed an extra little forehead wrinkle from thinking about this.

There is an Astro Boy film slated for release on 23 October in the USA. It has Nicolas Cage in it (providing voices, it's still animated natch). First red flag. The second is this image of "Astro Boy":



That is not the beloved Astro Boy I grew up with. What the fuck have they done to him??

He's been Disney-fied, Pixar-ed, de-manga-ed (that is now a word). And like the appalling work they've done to Mary Murphy's face (of So You Think You Can Dance, USA fame) it is not an improvement.

Anyway. Whatever. There's a movie coming out. I will probably see it, but I'm just saying: they had better not tinker with Dr Elefun's hair and nose (Bill Nighy is providing his voice, and given my sick crush on him, I suppose I will love the voice irrespective of anything else).


NOTE: In happier film news, John Marsden's wildly successful teen fiction book, Tomorrow, When the War Began, is being made into a film starring one of the lasses from Neighbours. Remember how good his books were? Wow. That takes me all the way back to 1995. The Tomorrow series - which tracks a group of teenagers as they struggle with the surprise invasion and conquest of their country - is now into its 8th book (holy shit!), has been translated into a stack of languages, and has sold into the millions. I actually want to go and read the other 5 books now, but I don't know how I'll explain it on the bus.


Filming is to take place in the Hunter Valley, which I think is perfect. I'll need to find some kind of a youngster to excuse my attendance at this one.

No comments: