Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Won't Go To Harlem In Lincolns or Fords


Lady Gaga. Ex-Catholic private school girl (this may explain quite a bit), ex-Burlesque dancer and ex-non-lazy cocaine addict (reference Guns n Roses) with a penchant for blunt fringes, gloves, sunglasses by night and not wearing pants. This girl is living the dance school dream with her monster stage-time, leotards, fishnet tights, huge randomly-located bows, OTT sexuality and singing talent (have you ever noticed not a lot of dancers can sing, but a lot of singers can dance?).


I have been transfixed by Lady Gaga since she hit the pop chart scene. At first I was unsure if she was female or just a really hot transvestite. Her camp-ness is out of control, and I love the fluid and questionable sexuality. Her refusal to answer any question seriously (“The biggest misconception about me is that I am not a real person. The assumption is that my eccentricity is not who I really am, but it is. I have lost my mind.”) and her grim determinedness not to buckle to ongoing public pressure to wear pants is liberating, startling and I truly hope it starts a trend for people to prance pantless down the street (as it is, my housemates have to text ahead if we have guests so I have time to put some pants on). I think we're halfway there, if not a little upside down, with the current revival of the bodysuit.


Most intriguing is her self-confessed failure with men: “I am totally confident that I am an incredible artist and performer. I am extremely confident about my body, the way I dress, the way I want to look. But I have no confidence when it comes to men. Men are a disaster area for me. It’s so weird because I believe I am super sexy. I believe I am incredible, but I have absolutely no luck with boyfriends.” Maybe it's the uber confidence? Perhaps it's performance anxiety on the part of the male (When it’s love, if it’s not rough it isn’t fun). Would you be nervous? She definitely has some black widow spider about her ... chomp you up once she's done.

No comments: