Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I like to go there in my sleep, aren't any floors for me to sweep


By now you've seen the youtube clip of Susan Boyle's star turn on Britain's Got Talent.  If you haven't, you may have also missed the considerable hype, particularly surrounding the little hip swivel she gives before her performance which according to one journalist had all of England clenching their collective buttocks in shame. Shit, she's even got her own Wikipedia entry, which is quite a feat for the ordinary person (who doesn't have a personality disorder causing them to create their own entry).  And the story is not just about Susan's obvious talent, it's about how the crowd reacted to her before she performed - the sneers, titters and behind-the-hand comments.  Sam de Brito suggests it's because she doesn't know her place in our strictly defined poor-rich, pretty-ugly society.  Possibly so.

I was far more intrigued by Mystic Medusa's take.  Click on the link and check out what Mystic has to say (I am obsessed with Mystic Medusa, and I cannot function without reading the weekly stars in The Weekend Australian magazine. Call me crazy, but she is always, always freakishly spot on).  

What is Susan's message do you suppose? Is it in the lyrics? Not surprisingly, she got a good dose of bullying as a child (she was born with a mild disability, which made her an easy target for bullies, plus, let's face it. That caterpillar masquerading as a unibrow isn't doing her many favours).  As she says: "words often hurt more than cuts and bruises and the scars are still there".  She also grieved for many, many years following the death of her mother - the woman who encouraged her talent, and I can only assume tried to patch up those emotional scars when her daughter came home disconsolate after another dose of local village taunts.  Her motivation for entering the show was to make her mother proud, and I wonder if she is yet over the loss of the one person to stand in her corner, to even encourage her and recognise what makes Susan special. If we can't rely on our mum to do that for us, then things can be tough (consider David Chase's own miserable relationship with his mother and the decades of therapy, which guided the development of Livia Soprano: the hideous creature also known as  Tony's mother in the hit drama The Sopranos).  In the run-up to the audition, Susan practised in the bedroom that she has slept in (alone - she's a self confessed virgin) since she was a child, holding her hairbrush in front of the mirror.  "Well, that's what everyone does".

I Dreamed A Dream is one of those haunting songs from Les Miserables that sends you right back to the miserable poverty and hopelessness that pervaded the lives of the poor in 18th Century France.  Fantine sings this at the height of her loneliness and destitution.

There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
And their words inviting
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame

He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came

And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

No comments: