Tuesday, July 8, 2008

These Boots Are Gonna Walk All Over You

I'm wearing my grey shoes today. It's been pouring with rain, I don't want to wear flats and I don't want to destroy my other gorgeous, hideously expensive shoes. So I'm not in an all-grey outfit - there's definitely colour here - but the shoes look fabulous! I'm so pleasantly surprised I keep running to the toilets to admire my outfit.

When you are self-conscious about something, it's always the thing you notice most about other people. So as well as being a keen shoe-observer today, I couldn't help but notice the walks moving all these shoes along. Shockingly, some of the prettiest shoes are driven into the footpath by the most masculine of walks. Delicate shoes are being stomped around - legs slightly apart, toes splayed and even some slight bending of the knee. It's the legs apart thing that makes them look like men - feet splayed like a duck perhaps can be forgiven when it's pouring with rain and you're dodging puddles. Perhaps.

I've always noticed when a woman stands with her legs apart, and while I undertand the need to create light between the legs so we don't look like we have a solid tree trunk as legs, it's rather ridiculous when you're in constant flight. Clearly these women in the lovely shoes think about their image as they get dressed - why don't they realise how they ruin it when they walk like men? Not to mention the cost of getting the shoes reheeled. And seriously. Where do these people learn to walk like that? I thought women moved like women unconsciously. Maybe it's all this rubbish about needing to be a part of the boys club to get ahead. But you don't have bows on your shoes if you're trying to do that, do you?

No comments: