Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fashion Channel

It's probably a huge coincidence, but the TV shows I like usually feature very well dressed people. Well... Perhaps with the exception of The X Files, but there was still something smouldering about Mulder's dark suits and Scully snapping on those latex gloves of hers...

We all want to believe the X Files film that is on its way into cinemas will be great...

Again, I digress. For whatever reason I am attracted to sexy programming - Boston Legal (mmmm.. legal chic!):
I fall in love with Alan a little more every time he does his close

Absolute Power - another BBC program featuring some of the best suited-up man-dressing I've ever seen (but why not... It was the genius of Stephen Fry. He did deliver the film Bright Young Things which was a veritable feast for a 1920s fashion-lover):


PR means never having to say you're wrong.

Yes - that's spots, stripes and checks all at once.

Sex and The City and Patricia Field's bold, sexy wardrobe.


The list is endless. So why, why, why God, why am I so obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Her clothes are hideous! Observe:

Those boots! She wore them for TWO series, pretty much every episode. I can only imagine that, in Californian heat, you would get quite a sweat up while you're slaying vampires in those pleather wonders. And the high-waisted everything. And not high-waisted in a cool 70s way. High-waisted in a poorly designed, badly manufactured kind of way. Things get worse when the make-up staff suddenly discover fake tans in season 3. My god - Buffy and Cordelia look like they've been barbecued. And while we're on the topic of Ms Cordelia Chase (expertly played by Charisma Carpenter - a tragic, Hollywood name. She was doomed for the sitcom casualty ward) - who I love - even her outfits leave a lot to be desired. And she's meant to be the well-dressed rich, popular girl! Buffy was on TV in the late 90s, so you may think that's an excuse. I can't accept that. Even the good folk at BH 90210 (EARLY 90s - even ickier) were dressed better than their Buffy colleagues. [And if the Sunnydale High looks familiar to anyone - it's the school from BH 90210!].
I'm quite sure that as well as my general obsession with all things vampire and the fact that Angel is regularly shirtless (even naked - insert pervy chuckle) it's the witty one-liners that also keep me hooked:
  • "Now is it time to have a talk about the facts of life? ... You know, 'cause that whole stork thing is a smoke screen" - Xander
  • "... you could ask him for coffee some night. It's the non-relationship drink of choice. ... Okay, sure, it's hot and bitter, like a relationship that way, but..." -- Willow
  • "Being called an idiot tends to take people out of the dating mood."; "It actually kind of turns me on."; "I fear you." - Buffy & Xander
  • "People underestimate the value of a good ramble." -- Buffy
  • "Oh, he's a vampire. But the cuddly kind. Like a care bear, with fangs." - Cordelia
  • "Cordelia, your mouth is open, sound is coming from it. This is never good." - Buffy
  • "I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." - Xander
  • "I told one lie. I had one drink."; "Yes, and you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon snake. The words, "let that be a lesson" are a tad redundant at this juncture." - Buffy & Giles
  • "I have all these thoughts, and I'm pretty sure they all contradict each other." -- Cordelia
  • "Being this popular is not just my right, but my responsibility." -- Cordelia
Ok. I'm getting carried away.
Could it be that a TV show is more than just the clothes?

No comments: