Monday, July 5, 2010

Here Comes The Sun

On the weekend, I participated (competed is definitely not the right word!) in the GC Marathon's 10km run. I had made a New Year's resolution to do a 10km run somewhere in the world this year. With quite a bit of prodding from the boy I am dating (i.e. he entered us both, forced me to do a few 7km runs in the lead up, stayed with me for the entire race) I very happily ran across the finish line - without walking, stopping or even much whingeing! The only time I complained was when I saw a sign for 9km (at which point I sped up) only to come across my race's sign which read 8km. Devastating!

There really is something to be said for making goals, working towards them and achieving them (no matter how long it takes!). The sense of achievement is greater when what you have achieved is something that doesn't come easily to you. For me, running has always been hard work: I don't seem to breathe properly, my legs just won't go fast enough, and I find it incredibly dull - even with an iPod and a great song list!

Other NY resolutions I've had previously have been for things I know I can already do - i.e. start and finish my Masters of Law (almost there!), cook a new recipe once a week etc. Going out on a limb, being faced with the serious prospect of failure was incredibly liberating this weekend. I felt so alive and present in the moment! For a change, I was completely aware of every part of my body that had engaged in the challenge. My mind was focused on a goal and, for a change, it wasn't wandering all over the place. I believe they call this "the zone"!

Not only do I plan on doing another 10km run (and speeding up!), I'm going to keep pushing myself to achieve things that I find challenging and beyond my comfort zone.


GC people - can pick up anywhere they go!

It helped that the course we were on was absolutely beautiful with perfect, sparkling weather (after being terrified all week by the weather forecast for rain - the day was stunning!) and that there were 5,500 people running alongside me! The cups of Endurance were also helpful - although I am yet to master taking a gulp of water while in motion.

5 comments:

A said...

Well done!!! What a fantastic achievement - I knocked off my 7km run back in Feb and haven't been running since - I blame it on the weather.. sigh... And I finally put Textbook Romance in the post to Ally K today - I finally think I can do without it..! xx

Rachel said...

Hurrah for sending TR on - and how wonderful that you can do without it now!! So lovely to hear about your NYC plans... I am dying to get over there - but for me it will need to be next northern summer, and after a friend's wedding in June. *sigh*

Ally Kay said...

Congrats Rach!!! My god. I'm in awe of people who can run.

Looking forward to reading text book romance! Thanks gals! Was talking to a girl the other night who swears by 'the rules.' She dates all the time, and was dating someone from Saturday Night Live.

Come sooner please.

Rachel said...

I seriously, truly ruly wish I could be there earlier. But South America beckons! Gah!

Phuong said...

Awesome work - I feel like a proud mum!

half marathon next?

I've signed up for an 18km in October which I am a bit scared about it!!