Friday, June 4, 2010

To Do

One of my all-time favourite activities is: brunch - in the sun - with friends/lover - at an adorable, quirkily appointed cafe - which serves awesome food. It can be as quirky as it likes, and not serve decent food and it's a huge NO from me. Another element which is becoming more screamingly apparent for us Brisbanites is the cost: visitors comment on it, locals notice it (but have to put up with it). Brisvegas is becoming uber expensive for food - basic fare such as breakfast included. Whereas once breakfast would you set you back approx $15 (unless you linger & order more than one coffee - in any event still sub-$20) these days, it can be pretty damn hard to find breakfast food (not incl. the TruBlood version for humans - coffee) below $20. Ridiculous!

Flamingo is a new-ish cafe in the Valley, and it looks like it may deliver on some key elements (haven't tasted it yet, so will have to report back).

I have a friend who hates being served food by tattooed people (I believe this view comes from a link in her mind to "carny folk" and dirt - or STDs*). What are your views on this? There are a lot of people with tattoos serving food in Brissie currently.

*If I could hyperlink, I would hyperlink to the current case in Queensland of the hot Jamaican circus guy who has been rooting (and acrobatting) around Australia and spreading plenty much HIV in his wake. Shocking. Condoms people!!

1 comment:

A said...

Oh I love brunch!! I think I'm going to do a DIY version this weekend for the boy - it's warmer and drier inside than out right now.. But there are some fabulous cafes in Wellington that do dreamy brunches. One in particular that I used to love until it was hit by a fire and is in the process of being rebuilt was the Maranui Surf Club in Lyall Bay which did the most simple yet perfect bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon - lovely light, crisp bagels - not the heavy doughiness that sits for ages in your stomach afterwards.. And also delish buckwheat pancakes with bacon, banana and maple syrup. Ugh my mouth is watering just remembering it...

Have a lovely weekend! It's QB long weekend over here for NZ - yay!!