Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Eva Mendes is currently promoting her latest film - The Other Guys - in which she appears with Will Ferrell. I imagine it will either be really funny, or simply obnoxious bordering on misogynistic.

Eva appears on the cover of W, and the interview inside - which you can read here - is quite insightful, and she is certainly more than just the sex symbol you see splashed across billboards in NYC lathered in oil with a man straddling her Calvin Klein lingerie-clad body. Indeed, she is well aware she walks “a fine line between being a respected actor and being what they call a sex symbol. It’s a hard one to walk if you want to be known as a real, credible actor. But I’ve never felt objectified. Nothing you see me do is an accident. . . . I’m incredibly calculated when it comes to my career.” She has a dog called Hugo, is 35 (looking amazing), loves therapy, doesn't know if she will have kids and has been with her lover since shortly after she finished high school.



In terms of love, she notes that: “I’m a modern woman in the sense of I take care of myself, I’m fiercely independent and I’m really ambitious,yet I have these old-school thoughts ingrained in my mind. I do like to belong to a man. I love having a man in my life and being his woman at the end of the day. I know it’s a dichotomy.

As for her Latin American heritage, Mendes states “I don’t consider myself a Latin American actress. I was born and raised here, and I have Cuban parents, but for me, I am the new American girl. It’s not only Drew Barrymore and the blond Midwestern girl. This, [pointing to her face] is also what we look like now.”

No comments: