Thursday, June 10, 2010

Have I Been Living Under Rock? / Did You Know?

Belinda Carlisle - of Leave A Light On, Heaven Is A Place on Earth, Summer Rain, Live Your Life Be Free hits - had a 30 year cocaine habit? As in, for more than half the time this woman has been on earth, she has been an addict (she's only 51). I had no idea.

She is gracious about breaking free of her addiction - 5 years clean and counting - saying how pleased she is to still have her nose. She credits her cleaning up with her need for a dignified death, primarily for the sake of her teenaged son: "I started thinking that I would be found dead in a hotel room of a cocaine overdose, and how humiliating that would be for my son. You can't be my age and doing the amount of cocaine I was doing." Furthermore, in my opinion, you need to be some kind of a hard rocker who sings about drugs to really make the drug OD thing work for your legacy - otherwise, you just become a sad fatality of Hollywood and early fame.

No comments: