Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Trots Love, Trot Trot

Gawd! I kid you not, there is nothing quite as stressful (I'm exaggerating, obv) as looking for autumn racewear. Spring, summer, winter racewear is a breeze. Autumn, that ridiculous in-between season we barely even have here in Brisbane, has caused all sorts of wardrobe conundrums this past week. To the point where I shook my head and murmured to myself "Just don't go" because I couldn't find a thing!

There are some pretty basic rules for racewear - the prime one being no all-over straw in winter (this is reserved for spring/summer), and felt is pretty much du jour for winter headwear. And don't even think of showing up to the races without anything on your head! The proliferation of flowers as pins/brooches makes it close to impossible to make up a decent excuse - apart from lack of funds which, when it comes to racewear, is highly plausible - for an absence of feathers, flowers, felt, or general puffery on your head.


After some serious googling and rustling through my wardrobe, I was pretty much decided that I had nothing to wear (another exaggeration). So I proceeded to shop each lunch hour I had available (not many, truly) on my hunt. There was a dearth of hats - the perils of between-season shopping. In fact, I was horrified to discover a number of felt-straw combination. It just wasn't right. It was hideous, in fact! For the confused shopper indeed.


And then, when you had that blissful moment of picking up The One, there was the sad moment of betrayal, when you looked at the price tag. Obscene. I realise this is pretty much par for the course for racing hats, however the fact that I bought an entire new outfit from Alannah Hill (saviour!) for a fraction of the cost (exaggeration) makes me shake my head in dumbfounded wonderment. I've now reached the conclusion that racewear falls into that category of instant-400%-mark-up that accompanies anything to do with a wedding. Horse shit, in my honest opinion.

All of this said - very cranky old woman style - I did find a lovely outfit at Alannah Hill. AH is one of those stores I frequently fawn over, but can never pull off an entire ensemble - despite my strenuous wishes. I am constantly in awe of the doll-like sales assistants who have the supreme privilege of wearing dainty frilly socks with heels as a clothing requirement (or so it appears) of their job. So jealous. And the red lips - everywhere - which I also swoon precariously for. I happened to be wearing my Nars Dragonfly lips, so I fit in today. I had the best lunch hour. Even if it did cost me close to a week's post-tax salary...! (Eek!)


Here are some race-day tips from Vogue Australia, in collaboration with David Jones Racewear Ambassador Kate Waterhouse.


1. Warm wardrobe
Always dress appropriately for the weather. There is nothing worse than seeing a girl in a skimpy summer dress on a cold, wet, wintery day. You are more comfortable when dressed appropriately and therefore more confident.

*Rachel's Note: Please god let the sun shine like mad on Saturday. Mine is distinctly sunny weather attire. It's not quite winter, after all!

2. Water works
Drink plenty of water in between your champagne. That way you'll stay hydrated throughout the day and won't be stumbling around the track.

Rachel's Note: Amen. The Kath & Kim episode of Kath's hens night left a permanent scar on my raceday psyche.

3. SPF essential
Wear sunscreen so you don't get burnt which will leave you with awkward strap marks.

Rachel's Note: Mine is strapless (break all the winter rules!) so I'm taking this as an opportunity to suntan up!

4. Chic cover up

Always take a pashmina or a wrap because even if it is a sunny day, especially during autumn - the temperature can drop dramatically by the afternoon.

Rachel's Note: I freakin' hate pashminas/wraps. They are so old lady. I will think of something. Or simply freeze. Or wear a champagne jacket.

5. Sensible shoe

Wear comfortable shoes. You don't want to be walking around barefoot with your shoes over your shoulder because they hurt too much.

Rachel's Note: See above. Kath & Kim.

6. Cushion comfort
Party Feet Gel Cushions are always a good option for comfort because they take the pressure off the balls of your feet.

Rachel's Note: Meh. By the end of the day, I really don't think it makes a difference. Just don't take your shoes off - your feet swell, and there's no getting your tootsies back into anything bar slippers after you make that fatal error. Night over.

7. Serious wedge

Wedge heels are always a good idea because your heels won't sink into the grass.

Rachel's Note: Freakin love wedges.

8. Shoulder on

A bag with a shoulder strap is a trackside winner because it frees your hands so you don't have to juggle your champagne and race book all together.

Rachel's Note: An interesting point. However I am a clutch lover from way back. You can actually tuck them under your arm and still juggle race books and TWO glasses of champagne (all class).

9. Natural beauty
Don't go overboard with makeup. Because it is a daytime event, the daylight will show up everything so you don't want to look like a drag queen.

Rachel's Note: None required. True that.

10. Back a winner
If you are not too confident with placing a bet, then an “each-way” option is good idea. An each-way bet is a wager offered by bookmakers consisting of two separate bets: a win bet and a place bet. Although you won't win as much as if you put it all on the winner, it gives you the opportunity to pick two horses that can come first and a place which increases your chances of winning something back.

Rachel's Note: There is nothing more satisfying than winning on the trots.



For all you who do have some cashola to throw around, The House of Hats had some pretty amazing stuff.



Some other ideas (note, these are a little old... Ye olde internet was not too much help on the Autumn Racewear front).


Other note: You probably don't want to look too much like this:

2 comments:

adonis cabaret shows said...

Thanks for sharing nice information. i read your blog and know lots of things, your blog information is really very helpful. if any body want to know more information about hen party, hen weekend, hen night ideas then please visit: hens night

Snoozie-Q said...

Hi I'm wondering if you can tell me what season / year those Alannah Hill pics are? Cheers!