Thursday, August 5, 2010

Viva Italia

My college girlfriends and I have a regular, monthly dinner party: we get together at someone's house, a theme is chosen and we divvy up food/drink producing roles amongst ourselves. After a grossly ambitious initial decision to go with Japanese (what was I thinking?! waaay too hard!), as host, I have decided upon Italian. My stomach has been thinking about the table - groaning with food and wine as it shall be - all day.



As host, I am also required to cook the main, and I've gone with my mum's ridiculously delicious lasagne. This is fraught as (a) what if it's not as good as I remember it to be?; (b) what if I bugger it up? [seriously - it's more complicated than you may think]; and (c) now that I'm cooking it, does the flavour reduce in my mind? I call this the sandwich phenomena: have you ever noticed that a sandwich (or milkshake, or toast with vegemite etc) always - without fail - taste better when someone else makes it for you? It's true! Think about it...

Fingers crossed my childhood memories remain in tact after tonight. See you on the other side of Thursday. x

No comments: