Thursday, March 11, 2010

Another Reason to Love Gaga: Condom Lover

Lady Gaga has been running around with Cyndi Lauper and the MAC makeup team recently launching a campaign to raise awareness about HIV and AIDS... i.e. safe sex... i.e. condoms.

A highly quotable lady, she is.

Aaaah condoms. We love them but we kinda hate them too, right? A necessary evil. As is the old blood test before and after every new partner - and every 6 mths in between. In my old(er) age, I have become increasingly paranoid about the possibility of an STI (when did they stop being an STD by the way?) - probably because of the effects it can have on fertility. Although, having just learned that I'm going to be an aunt in a few months (!!!) and having looked at 12 week baby scans - the idea of baby-brewing remains buried. My biological clock doesn't seem to have batteries. Bless.

Gaga is smart. Her appeal in the campaign is to the vulnerable girls that we all know are out there, who don't have the balls to tell their boy to glove up.

"I see them every night and they are so beautiful and precious and lovely, but some of them are insecure and very troubled and not confident. I meet them and they cry, and they say 'Gaga you make me feel like I belong.'

And I think to myself about that one girl or those hundreds of thousands of girls who meet that guy at a club who makes them feel like they belong and they don't have that negotiation. We all know that having sex with a condom is a negotiation but it is Russian roulette
."

Right? Right.

She said: "I don't live in an era where you can sleep with whoever you want to sleep with. You have to really be careful with yourself and get to know people and get tested before you have sex is very important."

Latex, gloves. You can't go wrong.

Getting to know someone is one of the keys here. And y'all know you're not going to get to know someone over 5 drinks in a bar the first time you meet them...! Not that one night stands are bad, but you should insist on condoms in that instance. But I seriously can't recommend enough the getting to know you thing - sans sex. Not only does it make the sex more meaningful and fun (because you've talked about it so much by then), but prolonging things is just delicious. You know how much we enjoy sexual tension on TV shows? It's better when it happens to us! In real life! For serial! hahahaa (did you see what I did there? serial? TV shows?!). Right.

No comments: