Friday, January 15, 2010

Salad Tips

Due to it being high summer and all, we Aussies are chowing down on salads. The other night, I had the absolute pleasure of noshing on the Beetroot, Rocket & Yoghurt salad at Mecca Bah at Emporium in the Valley. Honestly, that salad is a winner in life. Truly. So good. My mouth waters right now, even though I still have the flavour of coffee swilling around.


I also like to make salads. Soon I will gift you with my favourite salad recipe EVER - it's a tad Christmassy with its mulled wine-esque dressing, but it's so good you can overlook that detail.

Stonesoup has provided the definitive guide to salads. It's very good. Most interesting was the tip re investing in a salad spinner. Given I have always thought the salad spinner was one of those Tupperware-led conspiracies designed to make us buy more plastic kitchen appliances we don't need, I was fascinated by this tip. I had never made the oil-water connection before. If this is the only thing I learn today, I will be happy.

Here are her salad spinner tips:
ii. dry
You’ve heard about oil and water not mixing right? Well if you want your tasty oil based dressing to stick to your leaves, you need to make sure they’re nice and dry which brings me to point number (iii).

iii. invest in a salad spinner
I highly recommend investing in a salad spinner, even though there are more and more prewashed leaves on the market. It’s the easiest, quickest way to get leaves clean and most importantly dry (see point ii). And means that you don’t have to rely on the expensive packaged lettuce.

God I'm dull. But I found that so fascinating.

No comments: