Friday, January 8, 2010

Distress Call

Distressed denim from Balmain, D&G, Dsquared2 and Just Cavalli.

Aaaah denim. It's the fashion item that consistently maintains its foothold in the wardrobe of everyone from fashionista princesses to 4 year olds to normal-sized human beings. The beauty of denim is its versatility and changeability - one minute you can be an all-American clean cut beauty, the next a 60s girl-next-door with bell bottoms and high waists, and the next you can look practically homeless - strangely the homeless look generally costing far more than the conventional denim which is neither ripped, had acid thrown across them or "distressed".

I think jeans are pretty excellent - they are flattering to many figures, warm and comfortable (provided they are not skin tight and low-slung). They also strangely have an ability to make mens nether regions disappear - I still find myself going through the options of where the "parts" have gone when I see boy emos slinking around shops wearing black Bardot* jeans in size 4. Disturbing.

Distressed denim appears to be here to stay - this northern and southern summer we were beseiged with cut off denim shorts with exposed, low-hanging pockets. Having shopped in New York at the height of summer this year gone, I succumbed to the trend and bought a pair. Indeed, they are super comfy but as my mother has commented with disgust on several occasions "you look as though you have fallen out of a trash can". Delightful.

Luckily for mama, it's unlikely I will ever find a pair of jeans to do the distressed denim job as I have hideous difficulty finding pants to fit (does anyone else have this problem? I mean it's fine by me because I love skirts and dresses, but sometimes it would be nice to go to the movies dressed like everyone else...) however there may be a place in my heart for a distressed denim jacket. Which actually sends a shiver of revulsion up my spine... Denim jacket. Dire?

*Note: Bardot is a most definitely female clothing range in Australia. It is the fashion range of a fallen all-girl pop group (along the lines of the Spice Girls except distinctly less successful). Very popular with its on-trendiness and low prices. I quite like it for occasions where you need a fashion forward item but know you'll probably only wear it once.

No comments: