Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Date: Moonlight Cinema

As I've mentioned, summer is my favourite time of year. One of the joys of summer is outdoor cinema. Across most of the Australian capital cities, Ford hosts the Moonlight Cinema. I don't think I need to explain what Moonlight Cinema is...

A trip to the Moonlight Cinema is always enhanced just that little bit more by taking someone along who you can smooch with in the dark. Right?! So dating is on the agenda for me at the moment, and for a change I'm not finding it overly tedious. I'm dating just one person. I've shut off all the usual options b, c, d, e and so on that I usually have in reserve. This is unusual. After much reflection, I have discovered I have become for various reasons a back-up plan girl. As in, my mind says "well, Rachel, if you don't pull this one off, never fear because you have also been preparing for several other options". It's almost like ensuring I never fail, because I can always say "well... I didn't want it anyway. Plan B seems so much more enticing - and feasible - now anyway. So suck on that Plan A!". Dunno what that's all about. But at this moment, in the realm of dating, I have stopped with the back-up plans. It is at once confusing and destabilising - there is a huge fear of the unknown here: if it doesn't work out, have I just invested way too much time on something? As I approach my 30s, I do worry about time wasting a little. Strange, considering much of my 20s have to date been spent with men (at least the ones who I date - the male friends I have are a totally different story) who waste my time almost 100%. I think it's the safe zone - you can pull the pin for a variety of reasons whenever you want, and it wasn't your fault it was theirs and their litany of faults. But when you like someone... Things change. Suddenly you could be the one at fault and it is freaky!

But obviously we put those crazy fears aside and enjoy the moment, don't we? So I am taking him to the Moonlight Cinema for Where the Wild Things Are. Why is it that so many boys never read this book in their childhood? I have been thinking, though, of what food to take. I like themes - dress up parties, themed dinner nights (stay tuned for our 70s themed dinner party - microwave food, upside down tea cakes etc) and so on. So the natural progression is themed food. I am gobsmacked by the Wild Things theming that is out there.

One restaurant has been offering this menu suggestion: freshly pulled made to order warm mozzarella with pickled wild mushrooms, roasted pearl onions, smoked paprika vinaigrette; a second course of penne with wild boar ragout and warm wild huckleberry clafoutis with lemon verbena sorbet in a wild rice tuile for dessert. Um. Yum! But a little bit of a con in that they just add "wild" as an adjective before the noun. Cheats!

Check out the cupcakes:

Woah! I could attempt that though.

This, on the other hand... The uber bento box from Anna the Red.

Um. Wow. That is love. I'm not quite there yet. Wild rice it is!

No comments: