Monday, August 31, 2009

If You Know What's Good For You

You'll go and read Ally Kay's latest Cocktail Epiphanies post.


I'm saying it out loud: I'm Chelsea. And I know why I'm called Chelsea, and I'm laughing my little snout off. Friends - true friends, whether they be for a moment or for life - are the greatest invention in the world. They are what inspire you to create, to change, and to improve yourself for a better future. They are the ones who tell you he's using you for one thing but in the same breath tell you what a twit he is for not wanting you to be his everything. Friends will gently give a shove to the baggage you need to off-load, and they'll laugh even as you cry because they know how much better off you'll be tomorrow.

Some other New York observations that you may not have previously been aware of:
* High heels are not in abundance as Sex and the City would lead you to believe. I had assumed when I was there in winter that it was some type of thick-leggings rationale for not wearing heels. No. They walk so much. They don't wear heels.

* Instead of heels, they wear a lot of wedges. Think of this what you will. Personally, I adore wedges, but I am aware of the belief that wedges create cankles - not if the wedge is thinly sliced at the back it doesn't!

* They walk a lot, which explains why it is possible to be size 0 (for some - my mind still boggles as to how much weight I need to lose to be size 2, let alone 0. Fuck you Rachel Zoe - in the nicest possible way).

* Most people have dogs. They have entire stores devoted to dogs: grooming, dog spas and pet accessories. Strangely, I saw very few vet clinics.

* Air conditioning systems - if at all (hello MTA!) - seem to be from the same era as Mad Men.

* Mad Men is close to surpassing SATC as my favourite New York-based TV series (*gasp*). I love love-hating someone they way I do Don Draper. And January Jones still reigns supreme in my best name and most beautiful face and hair categories. She truly is Grace Kelly reincarnated.


* "Does your long hair define you?" A key question during an intense discussion regarding whether or not I bob my hair. I still don't know the answer to that.

* Diners are so full of bad (coffee, fries, meals the size of the moon), but are the ultimate place of comfort if you feel lonely. People will always say 'hi' in a diner.

* Celebrities are not "everywhere". Second trip to NY, one month total spent in the city, official celebrity sighting count: 0. *deep sigh*

* New York is not only the city that never sleeps, it's the city that never stops talking. Not having someone comment on your hair, outfit, handbag, facial expression is mission impossible on NY streets. I love that.

2 comments:

Phuong said...

have been watching mad men, love love love it!

Ally Kay said...

Kicking myself for not going to dinner with Kaz and there fore, Matt Dillon. The Hurricane just saw Tina Fey last night. The one person I wish to see more than anything! Ahhhr!