Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sunday Mornings, Go For A Ride

Sam de Brito's column this morning featured one of the little inspirational quotes I used to have on my wall next to my desk back when I was in highschool. It gave me such a jolt, because in this moment, the world seems to be lying wide open before me, just the way it did when I was 16 years old.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

From ex-US President, Calvin Coolidge. I used to love that quote, because it meant everything was up to you - destiny, career, perfecting a cake, pirouette... Anything is possible, provided you persist and never, never give up.

No comments: