Thursday, June 25, 2009

Current Crush

Wil Anderson. Yummy, funny, crude-mouthed man. Having spent the years since The Glasshouse finale becoming accustomed to Wil's clean-cut, quick-witted host to the ABC's The Gruen Transfer, I will admit taking about 25 seconds when I saw him perform at QPAC last night to get used to the rapid frequency with which he drops the eff-word. (He says "country" instead of ... ). Once I realised he swears on par with an enraged sailor, I was fine.

Comic gold was delivered at the start of the show by a group of Unilever employees, clearly on some corporate bonding experience, with 3 men surrounded by about 50 women: the Lynx effect. "Ando the Comedy Commando" as he likes to call himself was in fine, sharp-witted form - despite getting completely lost in his whale joke which somehow became all about sweet transvestites. Also fantastic was his ability to mix hyperactive humour with political and moral truths. I am also always very amused when comedians can't talk because they're laughing so hard at their own jokes.


Anderson appeared in his trademark outfit (I didn't realise this until later - here's me thinking a pinstripe suit from The Gruen Transfer was de riguer) of Haviannas (he has big, fluorescent-white feet), tight black jeans, grubby-looking tee and leather jacket (despite his vegetarianism). Luckily for me, I have some friends in high places so a group of us (including high-seated friends, natch) went for a few drinks after the show. Ooh I'm bragging! Funny guy and startlingly tall - I'm a huge fan!

No comments: