Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tea for Two

“There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.”

-Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady


Some of the happiest moments of my life came from the hours I spent poring over my mum's Australian Women's Weekly Children's Birthday Cake book. The book contained distinctly boyish cakes - the soccer field, the ghost with the eggshell eyes - and distinctly girl cakes (i.e. the flower basket, the candy shop etc). It was awesome. Even though by the time I turned 10 I had flipped through the book a hundred times, each new cake page after page was a revelation.


The Australian Women's Weekly is one of my favourite publishers of cookbook/magazine-y type things. As I am on a health kick currently (despite still trying to finish off my Easter eggs), I am heavily ensconced with the Ultimate Low-Fat Cookbook. I must admit, as with most things low-fat, the pictures are more nourishing than the recipes. (I lie, some of the meals are delicious, but they are (a) an effort; and (b) still require beefing up with Easter eggs later).

The latest offering from AWW is High Tea. God. This looks fabulous. This is likely to be a late birthday present to myself. Post-study, naturally, as cooking is one of my favourite procrastination activities.


I also must admit that I adore the pictures. As I discovered after I purchased the AWW Kitchen recipe omnibus, I'm unlikely to cook anything that isn't accompanied by a picture.

Cooking is also one of my beloved activities to do for others. Feeding other people with delightful tidbits is so satisfying. If I cook for you, it means I love you.

No comments: