Friday, April 9, 2010

Happy Friday: Ageing Prematurely

A few weeks ago I mentioned the grey hair trend, spotted on the Chanel and Dior catwalks as well as in the roots of iconic Kate Moss. The trend is catching on...

No longer the domain of the blue rinse set, the grey we usually associate with bingo players has now gone pop. Literally. Kelly Osbourne, Pixie Geldof, Agyness Deyn, Daphne Guiness, Lady Gaga, Pink and even Tavi are all accessorising their youth in shades of grey. However, for those who are naturally hitting their grey stride, do not be tricked into thinking this trend means you can stop with the brunette rinse. The trend is intended to highlight youth, rather than celebrate ageing.

When Nicole Kidman let her grey peek through (I don't think you're allowed to dye your hair when you're pregnant, but then I don't know much about pregnancy other than you're not supposed to drink) at the premiere of Australia, one commentator accusing her of breaking the "last taboo". Furthermore, Jennifer Aniston declared in 2007 that she sobbed when she found her first grey hair. Be warned.

And tomorrow marks my 29th birthday. As I see it, still in my 20s, I can grey my hair (but I won't - it looks stoopid) and revel in the remaining 365 days of my youth: bring on the bad decisions, bad boyfriends, binge drinking and reckless travel that have marked my roaring 20s.

No comments: