Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Techno-Head

And I'm not just talking about what they're wearing!


What the hell? Is this the future of Saturday nights - playing with Surface* tables in clubs? Aren't blackberries bad enough?

*Allow me to explain: Surface is one of the gizmos from Microsoft which is a surface, like a coffee table, which responds to touch - meaning that you can dump your mobile phone or your camera or USB or whatever other techno thingy you have, and transfer the information from that device onto the coffee table, for all and sundry to see. I assume these things are wired to the Internet, so you can very quickly upload Saturday night photos to your Facebook or MySpace etc while Saturday night is happening. You can also order meals with them (this is already happening in US hotels) and just by dropping your credit card on to the table, you can pay for something. You can even split the bill, by putting 2 cards on the table, and dragging menu items onto the credit card responsible.

Last week, Sydney-based digital marketing firm Amnesia received two Surface test units, at a grand total of $10,000 each and stuffed into 125 kg packages.

Apparently, the Rio hotel (I have no idea where this is - I'm sure Wiki will tell us) has introduced these things and not only can you do EVERYTHING with them, you can also do more (how is this possible, you say? because even when we think we can do everything, we can always do more) - you can even flirt with the person across from you in the bar. I don't know how. Sending a message or something I guess - maybe there are table numbers, and you can send a flirty message to Table 4. With a ;o) of course. I mean - who wants to actually interact in person when you can be all that you want to be and more over a computer. Soon we will just cut and paste clothes onto our computer image icon, cyber sex will replace in-person sex, and the art of talking will be relegated to cave men - something we've evolved out of.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very cool what technology can do for us, but studies show that as we become more reliant on technology in our daily life, we also gradually erode our ability to interact with others. I love a good email/text flirt as much as the next girl, but I don't think a message from the guy at Table 8 is exactly what I have in mind for my next Saturday night out in a cocktail bar.

No comments: