Friday, August 22, 2008

I Thought I Knew

When a girl marries she exchanges the attentions of many men for the inattention of one
- Helen Rowland

What a horrid thing to say. Maybe it's true, but who wants to admit that fact as you set your sights on a stroll down the aisle, as you begin to plan one of the happiest days of your life? No matter how many times your heart has broken, or how many times you feel you will never trust again, I know that in the end we will always have love. Or we will always search for it - and that quest in itself is so exciting. Surely smoothing away the sharp edges we erect around our heart is worth it? This morning I was listening to Love by John Lennon as I read this quote. I think John, although a tad rambling and yes a tragic hippy, got it right.

Love is real, real is love
Love is feeling, feeling love
Love is wanting to be loved
Love is touch, touch is love
Love is reaching, reaching love
Love is asking to be loved

Love is you
You and me

Love is knowing we can be
Love is free, free is love
Love is living, living love
Love is needed to be loved

So I will forget that my heart feels like a shrivelled dirty sock, and I will forget the past and remember that before I can be loved again, I need to love again first.

No comments: