Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Shoesday: Movin' On Up

This week, I reignite my ambition and relocate my ego...


I have quit my job. A job that left me dissatisfied, and was starting to make unwelcome inroads into my self-esteem and understanding of my own abilities. So I snuck out of my workplace a week and a half ago and have been non-stop since. Job hunting (I can't handle the thought of not working! What is that? I thought I'd enjoy being a lady of leisure!), looking at short courses to become a freelance writer (not likely to pay the bills for quite some time), meeting writers who are freelancers and feeling completely inspired, meeting women with their own businesses who again inspired me - and offered me jobs!

Frankly, at all these meetings I had, I was amazed at every step. I think when your self-esteem takes continual batterings (2 cheating boyfriends and a less than fantastic job can do that for you!) you do start to doubt many things... And I'm a doubter of my own abilities already! So it was with huge, happy surprise that at these meetings I realised I can do stuff!

Yeah. Silly, huh?

I have suddenly realised that my half-heartedness in certain endeavours was fear of failure. Which sets you up for failure anyway.

While certain projects are now simmering away with far more enthusiasm and effort vowed to be made than ever before, I will be taking up a new job on a 6 month contract which I am really excited about. I was shocked to be told by my future employer that I was undervaluing myself, and would I like to suggest another - higher - figure for my salary. Does that happen?? I guess it does now!


Ok... There aren't many shoes in this post. But it's all about climbing the ladder - barefoot or in heels, I don't care how you do it. :o)

No comments: