Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Can't Wait! for...


AUSTRALIA

In cinemas in 2 weeks time. Even Oprah loves it! (I don't know how she got to see it, considering Baz Luhrmann is still working on it). Oprah said: I have not been this excited about a movie since I don't know when. Me either!

I think Nicole looks lovely.

Fast facts:
  • The final scenes were re-shot due to negative audience reactions (read - lots of tissues) to Hugh Jackman's character being killed (is this a good idea? with the exception of Strictly Ballroom, all of the stars of Baz's movies die! Satine from Moulin Rouge, basically everyone in Romeo + Juliet, Mimi in La Boheme). I don't know... Shouldn't an epic be sad?
  • It's meant to be the Gone with the Wind of our time (Oh, Rhett!) [check out the obligatory kissing shot below - every good epic has one)
  • 20th Century Fox has spent $190 million on it - that's a lot of shoes in girl-accounting talk!
  • Baz is living in a caravan in a post-production facility, simply slaving darling over the final piece - he's handing it in reel by reel (no "the dog ate my homework" excuses in a caravan, although... a dingo ate my reel! such poor taste)
  • Russell Crowe was Baz's first choice over Hugh Jackman (I secretly love the name Hugh at the moment)
  • The film is expected to be a whopping 170 minutes long! OMG that's almost 3 hours... My bottom will go numb!
  • Nicole Kidman celebrated her 40th bday during filming - as well as getting herself knocked up, along with about 3 others
  • A friend of a friend has spent the last few years buying all the props for the movie - so so so unbelieavably jealous of the "buying props for amazing films" job
  • Our Nic signed up to do the film without bothering to read the script. I don't blame her - Baz is a genius!
  • Bowen, where much of the film was shot, got right into the swing of filming with Jochheim's Pies (now owned by Jo's great-great-great granddaughter, Merle who famously gave Baz and CM a Bowen's history lesson in the bakery, not realising who they were - a star (in the form of the town of Bowen) was born in that chance encounter) baking Hunky Hugh Meat Pies, Baz Baguettes and Kidman Mango Cheesecakes. mmm.... pies. I'm hungry.
  • Most of the filming took place at the Packer-owned Carlton Hill Station (that's cattle station, not tv channel) located about halfway between Broome and Darwin. The station is called Faraway Downs in the film, and is the station that Nicole's character (Lady Ashley) inherits upon the death of her husband
  • The film is an escapist love story set in the 1930s.

I want someone to kiss me like that in the rain! Break the drought!!!


A few other shots from the film:

CM is a killer costume lady

Botox or no botox, Nicole is a beauty

This is my wedding, right here. I'm freaked that someone else has imagined this moment!


I heart Australia always, but this movie makes me think I'm going to love Australia even more soon. I can't wait!

No comments: