Friday, November 28, 2008

Blood Lust

I was very attached to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So much so that, despite finishing watching the series some weeks ago, I haven't been able to talk about it in much detail since. It is bizarre, but the loss of Buffy from my life has been heartwrenching.

Also heartwrenching, was the amazing speech Spike (who I lusted after most unhealthily for many months) makes to Buffy in the final season. It pains me to think about it. Here it is (pink bits for unnecessary, yet irresistible commentary from moi, the obsessed viewer):

You listen to me. [Ok. Anything you say, Spike. I love love love you.] I've been alive a bit longer than you and dead a lot longer than that. [Spike was funny-see?] I've seen things you couldn't imagine and done things I'd prefer you didn't. I don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. [Humble - a nice trait] I follow my blood which doesn't exactly rush in the direction of my brain so I make a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. [Cute pommy-ness] A hundred plus years and there's only one thing I've ever been sure of. You. Hey, look at me. [End commentary - now it gets serious]

I'm not asking you for anything.

When I say I love you, it's not because I want you, or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me.

I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are.


You are a hell of a woman.
You're the one, Buffy.

The sexiness. All too much to bear!

Swoon.


Theirs was an unusual relationship, typified by Buffy's denial of her feelings for Spike, the wall-shaking, floor-splitting, "shameful" crazy wild animal sex they engaged in for a season or two, plus the fact that Buffy had feelings for him that didn't quite reach true love - to Spike's knowledge all along, and yet he stuck around - he was always skulking in the shadows, smoking a cigarette, and generally looking dangerous and moody. And he only had eyes for Buffy.

Spike & Buffy in happier times.
[Look at her arms! Spike ensconced AND super-toned. Lucky girl.]

Spike sure did go to great lengths for Buffy, having the crap beaten out of him to obtain a soul so that she may truly love him - all for nothing (other than the trifling matter of saving the world - god knows, Spike had some redemption to win in terms of going to the heavenly dimension). But... You can only have one soul-mate (ba-doom ching!). Buffy's heart would always belong to the original soul-rich vampire: Angel. (Angel is very hot. But a more tortured soul... Who defected to another station, no less).


Poor, poor Spike.

No comments: