Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Last Minute Gift Ideas

Are you organised? Have you bought everyone on your list what you expect will be their favourite present over all other gifts this Christmas Day? No pressure. This year I am leaning toward utility  - tickets to tennis grand finals, shoes that demand to be worn on the daily, chocolate, gourmet pasta and pasta sauce sets etc. I have been finding "stuff" so abhorrent of late, that I find it difficult to purchase gifts when I know all the people in my life have basically everything they really need, and that anything I give them will just sit with all that other dusty, semi-useful, irregularly used stuff, that it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. Better that it be food, experiences and creators of memories in my opinion... Sarah Wilson's, too.

It reminds of a Charles Bukowski line, which I think I've mentioned previously:
The less I needed, 
The better I felt.

Of course, this rule against stuff doesn't apply to tiny nieces, for they are just at the beginning of their stuff-collecting, and tiaras, tutus and adorable swimsuits are just the ticket from a doting Aunt.

However, if there is a man in your life who is attached to his phone, doesn't carry a man-bag, and likes a pocket square, then I think J.Crew and Jimmy Fallon have come up with the perfect, utilitarian gift: the Pocket Dial.


Hilarious. Purchase it here.

No comments: