Sunday, January 20, 2013

Check Mate

Louis Vuitton's Spring/Summer 2013 collection is all about the checkerboard. Inspired by artist Daniel Buren, the graphic has been used in bright, chirpy products - and definitely channels the sweetness of the early 60s. My favourite part (apart from the more than ample use of yellow) is the beehive hair-do with the white bow. I call it Edgy Cute.

At the show's launch in Paris, models descended the catwalk via escalator in orderly, precise fashion. Because nothing can go wrong when you're wearing Louis Vuitton, right? The checkerboard print has been a hit with celebrity red-carpet walkers, with Jessica Alba, Kristen Stewart and Kirsten Dunst all appearing in the print since the collection's launch.


I feel compelled to share with you these design notes. They really exemplify why it is that high end fashion out-classes (and costs loads more than) your run of the mill high-street fashion. 

Erm... Is there really room for a bust here?




As the daughter of a woman who can sew, I find this information absolutely mesmerising. I continue to wish I could sew...

Sewing information courtesy of The Cutting Class.

No comments: