Friday, August 31, 2012

Happy Friday: Savour Your Parents (& Family)

Can you believe that it's the 15th anniversary of the untimely, tragic passing of Lady Diana? I feel sad that she isn't around to see the lovely, gracious woman Prince William has married, or to tell Harry to put some clothes on.

Sunday is Father's Day in Australia. While my parents are both absolutely driving me nuts at the moment, I am also very aware of how blessed I am that they are both still with me. When I'm engaged in some type of conflict with them, I always remember Harriet Beecher Stow's words: "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."

I'm sorry. Isn't that terribly morbid? But when you have a father in poor health and approaching 80 as I do... It's a reality check to think in those terms, and it ensures that no matter your gripe, you can see the bigger picture of what's more important.

So I hope you spare a thought for your parents - especially dads - on Sunday in the best way you can. If you have him still, you are blessed. If you don't have him any longer, whether you realise it or not, you were likely blessed for the time you shared with him.