Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Shoesday: Bright Spot

Last week, my friend called and asked if I'd like to go to Taiwan for the weekend for his wedding banquet. That's right - about 24 hours transit, for 36 hours on the ground.

Some insane thoughts ran through my mind - I almost convinced myself that my need to go to the gym in preparation for a ball the following weekend and various other things that were negligible in the scheme of things were more important than attending what would be one of the most amazing events I've ever been to.

Thankfully, that strange little voice in my head didn't dictate my actions. I let life take me on an exciting trip, rather than getting caught up in the mundane... Essentially, colour and excitement won the day!


It also gave my boyfriend an opportunity to surprise me yet again. In the past, the mere suggestion of my doing anything with another male (particularly this friend - friends for 15 years, he has always managed to intimidate my boyfriends) has always led to arguments, guilt, tears and me inevitably saying "no". Yes, I missed out on seeing Kylie Minogue's comeback concert after cancer because of one particularly miserable boyfriend. If I'm honest with myself, part of the reason I was creating these excuses not to go was because I was scared of a fight, and how it would make me feel.

Fascinatingly and surprisingly (for me, anyway....) he was fine with me going! More than fine - encouraging!

I'm glad I went - it was a crazy, over-the-top, lavish affair that was well worth attending. Most importantly, I shared in another special moment for a dear friend. And that's how it should be.

1 comment:

Phuong said...

can't wait to hear more! am so happy you went too!! xx