Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Shoesday: Just Do It


Australia is currently gripped by Australian Open tennis-fever. While we watched Lleyton Hewitt bow out with dignity and his trademark tenacity to the blindingly brilliant Djokovic last night, we still have the joys of watching Nadal pull his undies out of his bottom and Federer gracefully dispatch of opponents in his usual, gentlemanly manner.

Last night I watched the shrieking (seriously... 96 dB! that girl is an environmental nuisance) Sharapova overpower her German opponent. All I could think the entire match was: girlfriend is hot. Like seriously. She is one of the very few women in this world who can pull off lime green without looking like a trailer-park trashbag.


Anyway. Here are some of her tennis shoes...


Remember at school when it was all about the runners you had? I used to be green with envy towards all those who wore Nike. My mother - who strictly enforced the "you do not have to be like everyone else" school of thought doggedly refused my passionate pleas for Nike trainers. I was still wearing Diadora when the company had gone bust. *sigh*

I suppose it was really just like Coco Chanel famously once said - "To be irreplaceable, one must be different." While this is certainly true, it can be very difficult to explain this to a 15 year old girl who just wants to blend in. In any event, I buy my own shoes these days. And yes. They are Nike.


I am off to the Australian Open on Thursday (yes, I am VERY excited!). I have tickets to the men's final at the moment, but would really like to see some of the women in action. I think Kim Clijsters has some good juju around her right now.



No comments: