Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I'm With Armani

Very amused this morning to read Armani's take on certain aspects of New York. Here is an extract from his guest blog piece on The Moment:

On Saturday night, I went to dinner at an Italian restaurant called Scarpetta with my niece Roberta and a small group of my close Italian friends. I liked the décor and the food was pretty good, but you know the service was a bit slow. I ate spaghetti con pomodoro and basilico — and, here, I must interject something for your benefit. Americans overcook their pasta. Always. And there’s too much sauce. Too much of everything! Please, try to control yourselves.

The fun thing is that the group I was with thought I wanted to go home right after dinner but I said, “What are you talking about? I want to go out and see what’s going on.” They took me to a club called Cielo. We stayed until 2 a.m., and many people were surprised to see me and asked for photos and autographs. Such friendly people. The music was incredible and I had a lot of fun. While I sipped on a vodka, I noticed that the crowd was dressed in a rather basic way. In Europe, the people you see at clubs are extremely beautiful to look at and are wearing very elegant clothes. I don’t know, maybe I went to the wrong club.

I have marked in bold all his statements which I am 100% in agreement with, and which I think makes New York and the USA such a fun place to visit (the vodka - I kid, I kid).

One of the most interesting things I noticed about New York was that - yes, the people were dressed in a fairly basic, and I suppose all-American kind of way. That said, it was winter: coats hide fabulous outfits, so I may not have realised. For someone fed on a diet of Sex & The City, I thought everyone would be super-stylin' the whole time. Not so much (although I've got a great shot of some stylers hanging in Central Park). Not that I ever saw a badly dressed person the way I see it here in Brisvegas on a far too regular basis (oh, and Brisbane's penchant for manufactured "cool" which actually translates as robotic following of the same trend resulting in failure to attain the uniqueness I can only assume they think they are - so irritating). But what Americans lack in terms of uber-elegance (like Armani's Europeans - honestly, I haven't seen a lot of Europe but the French are killing it with their impossible coolness and classiness), they more than make up in friendliness.

More on New York later.

No comments: