Thursday, June 26, 2008

Baby Elephant Walk

On Tuesday I was doing my usual lunchtime shopping tour when I wandered past a shoe store I never go into. Even though I rarely shop there, my eye was caught by a cute pair of shoes very reminiscent of last winter's Chanel ballet flats with the black toes. And then my eye was caught by a pair of grey, patent, round toe shoes. I have no idea why (although it may be that I saw a pair of grey opaques that would match them perfectly) but I bought them. Now, I'm wondering why I did it and more importantly what I'll wear them with.

I can't say I love this all-grey palette (seen in the Celine A/W 08-09 shows), but there was an awful lot of grey on display in all of the A/W shows. Maybe it's worthwhile holding onto them for next season? Ordinarily I would throw in red or orange shoes to liven things up, but I can only assume these sombre, monochrome tones are supposed to reflect the current push to tighten our belts in this high oil price/high food price/poverty/war in the Middle East environment. How depressing. Maybe I should just stick to my orange shoes...? Ironically enough, the orange cost a lot more than my grey!

Other reasons for holding on to the shoes:

  • When the weather gets rainy and icky, I won't have to wear my gorgeous expensive shoes and ruin them
  • They're cheap
  • I now have stockings that go with them (and I can't return the stockings because I took them out of their packet - damn!)
  • They're patent. (I think that might be the decider, given my current obsession with all things patent).

Even when times are really tough, there's no excuse for shoes that look like this:

No comments: